Why am I no longer eligible for financial help?

Written by Access Health CT | Published November 21st, 2023 | Updated November 21st, 2023

Your eligibility for financial help may have changed for the following reasons:

  • Your household's projected income for this year is higher than last year.
  • You did not give consent for us to verify your household's income with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • You received financial help in the form of Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) in the prior year, but you did not file a federal tax return for that year or did not file form 8962
  • You may no longer qualify for financial help because you reported a change that impacted your eligibility*


*Important Note: In September 2021, our system that processes applications and determines eligibility for financial help was updated to deny APTCs to households whose Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) is below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), to align with 2022 IRS eligibility determinations for the Premium Tax Credit. Individuals who are lawfully present immigrants, but who are ineligible for HUSKY coverage due to their immigration status, may be eligible for APTCs even though their household income is below the 100% Federal Poverty Level. 

Households may not be eligible for financial help because an individual is eligible for coverage through Medicare, HUSKY, or other forms of public assistance. If you're impacted by the change to the eligibility determination for financial help, you can consider the following options:

  • Contact the Connecticut Department of Social Services (DSS) to apply for Husky C
  • Contact CHOICES at 1-800-994-9422 to explore options for the Medicare Savings Program
  • Enroll in a full cost Qualified Health Plan

Access Health CT cannot reinstate APTCs if your eligibility determination is correct. 

Contact us at 1-855-805-4325 (TTY 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator) to make sure that all of the information in your application is accurate and up-to-date. 

If you received financial help in the form of Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) in the prior year but did not file a federal tax return for that year or did not file form 8962, you will not be eligible to receive Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) until you reconcile.